Maki House, a City of Ottawa community centre, remains closed and is not part of the scheduled Phase 2 ‘recovery’ in August. Instead, the City is reviewing various venues, including community centres, that require some careful planning before any decisions to reopen. As well, gatherings are currently limited to a maximum of 10 people. With that in mind, we’re not expecting to resume meetings in the fall.
As the City’s plans unfold, we’ll update any pertinent information – perhaps there will be more news in August.
On a more positive note, I think we all have an increased appreciation for virtual connections and access to the internet. Although we don’t typically meet in the summer, Olde Forge is connecting monthly until the fall via Zoom. It’s a great way to see what everyone is working on and find out how they’re doing. The info for the meetings has been circulated and we’ll send out the link again before the next meeting, Thursday, July 16.
As well, there are videos, live lessons, classes and hook-ins, via Zoom, Facebook Live, YouTube. Our own members are offering classes and other learning opportunities: check out Karen Miller’s offerings on her website, Karen D Miller Studios and Robin Whitford’s Hooking Outside the Lines on Facebook.
In the Westport area Carol Shewan, an accredited OHCG teacher, is offering some classes via Zoom. See her website (Willowcreekrughooking.com) for details.
And further afield, because we can connect virtually:
- Join Deanne Fitzpatrick at WoolCake: A Club Members Learning Site. Join up (currently no charge) for lots of valuable hooking information, a newsletter and even a free hooking course. Join up (currently no charge) for lots of valuable hooking info, a newsletter and even a free hooking course. You might also want to join her 10 minutes a day hooking challenge – already over 1100 hookers from around the world have signed up!
Go to: https://hookingrugs.com/blogs/woolcake2/tagged/welcome-to-woolcake
- Check out Deanne’s live-streaming lesson every Thursday, offered via Facebook. Go to Deanne Fitzpatrick Studio to view the videos, real-time or afterwards, and also to find lots of other interesting hooking tidbits. (Include the link you have)
Go to: https://www.facebook.com/DeanneFitzpatrickStudio/
- Meet up with Cindi Gay for a variety of sessions – live lessons twice a week and hook-ins twice a week as well. Note: Cindi has changed what she’s offering, pulling back a bit.
Go to: https://cindigayrughooking.com/
- Beth Miller of Parris House Wool Works also has lessons from time to time, and every Tuesday offers a virtual hook-in via Zoom from 11 am – 1 pm Eastern. Find Beth and the link to the hook-in on her Facebook page for Parris House.
Go to: Parris House Wool Works
- Liseanne Miller of W Cushing and Co also has great videos, courtesy of Rug Hooking Magazine (every third Thursday of the month they offer a new video and they live on in You Tube). Liseanne’s June video features her method for dyeing antique black (and she also dyes red and teal, all of which might cause you to drool!): Watch her video here. It’s also a bit of a teaser to Beautiful Wool: In the Dye Kitchen with Lisanne Miller, Rug Hooking Magazine’s latest book publication.
Check back periodically for more suggestions and also let us know what you’re watching in rug hooking and punch needle. It would be great to add to this list.
You might want to check out the hooking information on our website – go to Resources or Links pages.
Continue to stay safe and healthy, and hook, punch and prod!!
Lesley – July 5, 2020