We are a rug hooking group based in Ottawa, Ontario with members from across the Ottawa Valley and into Western Quebec.
Members are optionally individually affiliated with the Ontario Hooking Craft Guild (OHCG) and Ottawa Olde Forge Rug Hooking is recognized as an OHCG branch within Area 1. OHCG provides a connection to rug hooking throughout the province of Ontario and Western Quebec.
Our members hook in a wide range of styles using a variety of backings. They also incorporate other fibre arts — for example, felting and embroidery — into their pieces.
Every year — except in 2018 when we co-hosted the OHCG Annual, and in 2020-2022 due to Covid-19 — Ottawa Olde Forge Rug Hooking hosts a hook-in. The event attracts rug hookers and needle punchers from across the OHCG Area 1 region, and beyond. All are welcome to register.
Membership in Ottawa Olde Forge Rug Hooking runs from Sept 1-Aug 31 annually. The 2022-2023 membership fee is $30 and is collected in the fall when we reconvene after a summer break.
Membership is open to rug hookers of all skill levels from Ottawa and the surrounding area. To enquire about joining, send an email message with your contact information (mailing address, phone number, and email address) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Three in-person meetings a month: two Thursdays and one Saturday. We break for summer – there are no meetings in July and August, and only one in June.
- Access to an extensive and well-catalogued rug hooking and punch needle library. In addition to a wide range of books, holdings include issues of Rug Hooking Magazine since its beginning, swatches to help you choose colours for wool dyeing, and more.
- Access to three cutters: one is available during in-person meetings only; two others are on loan for up to one month
- Use of an art projector to enlarge designs
- A variety of workshops and activities. To see what’s currently scheduled, see the workshops page. We list workshops publicly as we fill any vacancies from ‘outside’, after Olde Forge members have had the opportunity to register. This gives us the opportunity to facilitate more workshops.
- Events such as our annual hook-in, complete with several vendors and approximately 100 members and guests from around the region.
- An annual ‘garage sale’ that features donated items from people no longer hooking as well as members who are making room in their stash. It’s a great way to add to yours!
- Best of all, the camaraderie, shared passion, wisdom and encouragement of a talented group of rug hookers and needle punchers. The show and tell at each meeting is always inspiring and tips, tricks and learning are always there for the taking.
- Finally, and available to everyone, are the extensive resources and sources of inspiration on our website. There you’ll find a searchable index of Rug Hooking Magazine articles and patterns, thanks to the work of our librarian and our webmaster – and much, much more. Enjoy!
- Meeting Location:
- Maki House Community Centre
- 19 Leeming Drive
- Ottawa, ON K2H 5P6
- Crystal Beach area
- 1st Saturday of each month (except: April 1st; July & August), starting at 10:00 am
- 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month (except June, July & August), starting at 10:00 am
Meeting dates are subject to change due to statutory holidays, including Labour Day, Thanksgiving and Easter.
Business meetings are held at the Saturday and 1st Thursday meetings of each month. Tea and coffee are supplied, so bring your lunch, your mug, your hooking, and join in the fun!
Note: Up-to-date Covid vaccination status is required to attend a meeting.
Face masks should be worn except when seated socially distanced from others (2 meters apart) and eating or drinking.
- 2022/2023 (upcoming meetings)
- Thurs 24th
- Sat 3rd
- Sat 7th
- Thurs 12th
- Thurs 26th
- Sat 4th
- Thurs 9th
- Thurs 23rd
- Sat 4th
- Thurs 9th
- Thurs 23rd
- Sat 8th
- Thurs 13th
- Thurs 27th
- Sat 6th
- Thurs 11th
- Thurs 25th
- Sat 3rd
- All start times: 10:00 a.m.
Note: Up-to-date Covid vaccination status is required to attend meetings.
Face masks are recommended except when seated socially distanced from others (2 meters apart) or when eating or drinking.